Monday, November 8, 2010

Bread is Totally Rad!

What is one of your favorite smells? Chances are, if you're an everyday average person, your answer will probably be freshly baked bread. Additionally, many people's favorite foods (hamburgers, sandwiches, pigs in a blanket) involve the use of bread.

Now, recently it seems that bread has been villainized by the so-called "gluten-free" community. These people aren't technically allergic to bread, they just have a digestive intolerance to wheat, rye, barley and malt. Once again, it's not an allergy, it's an intolerance - a gluten intolerance. And I think we all know what intolerance leads to: hate crimes.

These "Celiacs," as they call themselves, haven't reached this level of violence yet. No Hostess factories or Sara Lee bakeries have been attacked or destroyed by them. For now, they're only asking for gluten-free versions of foods that already exist. The world is quickly becoming more and more tolerant of this intolerant group of people. More and more restaurants are offering gluten-free menus and you can find gluten-free products in almost any grocery store. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I'm just suggesting we need to keep an eye on the people with the Celiac disease. After all, "Celiac" rhymes with "we attack!" I'm just saying. . .

We need to stand up for our bread rights, people! Without bread we would lose many things that are precious and dear to our hearts. We would also not have videos like the one below.

Before you watch it, I must stress that this clip has not been altered or edited in any way - this is exactly how it originally aired.



As this video proves, all kinds of people are switching to whole meal, making their own bread and ripping their shirts off. This clip, sent in by, alert reader, Mitch, comes from a British television show called "You Are What You Eat" around 1986. Aside from that, I really don't know that much about it. The internet has failed me.

If any of you can give me more information about this clip or the TV show it came from, please let me know. Help me, faithful readers, you're my only hope. This video, and more like it, could help convince those gluten-free Celiacs that bread is just too cool to hate.

7 comments:

Sara Ann said...

Neil and I just laughed so hard watching that video I spit out my water! I sure hope your wife does not see this post....I always think of her when I see gluten free products. Also, I am not a hater because I won a gift card on her gluten free blog!

Amanda said...

Does your wife know about this post?! That video was awesome!

Rosa Lee White said...

This makes me wish I had a bigger kitchen...haha. Maybe food tastes better with some extra moves! Great post!

Marly said...

I would love to see Ryan make that kind of bread.

The Former 786 said...

Sara Ann and Amanda, yes, my wife knew about this post. After hitting me a few times, she was ok with it. Also, I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

Rosa Lee, I'll let you know how my next batch of dance bread turns out.

Marly, I'm sure you would. ;) GET A ROOM!

Jaime said...

you sir, make me laugh.

apparently bread makes you strong. strong enough to rip your mid-riff tank top off ;)

The Former 786 said...

It does, Jaime. It really does. But only if it's "whole meal."