Monday, January 13, 2020

My Own Subjective Top 10 Movies of 2019

Huh. I guess it's that time again.

*blows the dust off of Blogger* 

Hello, faithful readers! If you're reading this, it means you're reading a blog. DO NOT BE ALARMED! You have not traveled back in time to 2012! This is actually the one time a year that I update Slice of Fried Gold because it's time for me to inform you of my top 10 favorite movies that I watched this past year.

I've been doing this since 2009 (including such years as 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 20172018), and while it's mostly a self-indulgent way for me to keep track of my favorite movies, it's also so that, in the unlikely event that someone actually asks me for a film recommendation, I can give them one—maybe even by simply pointing them to this blog instead of having any sort of tedious verbal conversation.

By the way, if you want to hear the five worst movies I saw last year, give a listen to the latest episode of my podcast, Baconsale.

Anyway, without further ado, let's see which movies I liked in 2019.



10. Spider-Man: Far from Home (2019)

Spider-Man: Far from Home is a highly entertaining sequel as well as a satisfying continuation of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Tom Holland really captures the character of a kid overwhelmed with new responsibilities. The jokes were plentiful, and I found myself laughing a lot more than I thought I would. Plus, the action was visually thrilling. If you just keep in mind that this is a comic book movie with comic book problems & solutions, you shouldn't be disappointed.







9. Free Solo (2018)

I don’t think my palms have stopped sweating since watching Free Solo. This documentary is beautifully shot and told in a way that keeps you hanging on every moment. Professional rock climber Alex Honnold is definitely insane, and yet you have to admire his strength and determination. I have no desire to climb El Capitan, nor do I think anyone else should try climbing it free solo, but I’m glad I got to experience it by proxy safely from the comfort of my couch.










8. Green Book (2018)

Green Book is anchored in two wonderful performances by Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen. Their characters are complex and nuanced and it's the relationship between these two characters that keeps you engaged. It's also interesting to see Peter Farrelly direct something that isn't as goofy as his previous movies. This story felt unique and was able to address the subject of racism in a way that didn't feel cliched or cartoonish. Is it the best film of 2018? That's debatable. But it's definitely enjoyable.








7. High and Low (1963)

Considering that most of High and Low takes place in one setting, this movie does a great job of building suspense and holding the interest of the audience. It also feels very realistic as the detectives try to discover the location and the identity of the kidnapper. It's a slow-moving, but well-thought-out story with characters that you care about.










6. Jojo Rabbit (2019)

Watching Jojo Rabbit is a peculiar experience. At times, this film is delightfully irreverent. Then suddenly the story becomes emotionally poignant. And then somehow it swings back to the silly again. The dark comedy feels almost "verboten," but it’s also kind of refreshing to see material like this in our increasingly hypersensitive world. Plus, Roman Griffin Davis gives an impressively nuanced performance as the titular character. I don’t know how or why this movie works, but it truly does.








5. Shazam! (2019)

I'm not going to say that Shazam is the best DC movie ever, but I am going to say that this is the most enjoyable DC Comics movie I've seen in a long time. This fun family action flick has heart behind the humor, which makes it resonate more with the audience. And while the film has its fair share of flaws, it's easy to overlook them because it's an entertaining ride. Shazam has the spark that many other superhero movies are missing.









4. Take Shelter (2011)

Take Shelter preys on one of my biggest fears: not knowing the difference between what’s real and what’s not. This is a slow-paced, yet methodical psychological thriller that is carried almost entirely by Michael Shannon’s engaging performance. And while the ending left me scratching my head a bit, I haven’t stopped thinking about this film since I saw it.











3. Eighth Grade (2018)

If there is one word to describe Eighth Grade, it's genuine. This film doesn't try to hit the usual clichés of teen angst movies, it simply tells the awkward (and sometimes hilarious) truth of youth growing up in the modern era. Plus, the performances of Elsie Fisher, Josh Hamilton and the rest of the cast are refreshingly sincere. I may have hated eighth grade in real life, but I really enjoyed Eighth Grade the movie.









2. Avengers: Endgame - (2019)

Avengers: Endgame is a well-made and well-deserved victory lap for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It ties in many different storylines from previous films and allows you to reminisce while also saying goodbye to characters you’ve known and loved. This film has a few flaws, but it also made some bold choices and surprised me a number of times. I laughed. I cried. I loved this finale to the Infinity Saga.










And the best movie that I watched in 2019 was....










1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

We really didn't need another Spider-Man movie. After all, the franchise has been rebooted so many times that the timelines are starting to get muddled—which is why Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse works so perfectly. The film deals with multiple dimensions in a palatable & pleasing way. The animation is uniquely superb and makes you feel like you're watching a comic book. Plus, the story feels like a classic Wall-crawler adventure. Look out! Here comes a truly amazing Spider-Man movie.

And let's not forget my honorable mentions: Alpha (2018), The Book of Eli (2010), A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019), The Crucible (1996), The African Queen (1951), Rob Roy (1995), The Cat Returns (2002), The Secret World of Arrietty (2010), Klaus (2019), and Marriage Story (2019).

So there you go. That's my list. That's all he wrote. Except for this last part where I thank you for making it all the way here to the bottom. I hope this list helped you discover a movie or two that interest you. Until I see you again, faithful readers!

No comments: