Monday, January 18, 2021

My Own Subjective Top 10 Movies of 2020

Hello, faithful readers!

2020 may have robbed us of a lot of things, such as spending time with extended family, going on vacations, and exercising at the gym (it was the global pandemic's fault, I swear!), but I'll be darned if I let 2020 rob you of knowing my favorite movies of the past year! Especially since you've come to expect this top 10 list, which I've been doing for over a decade now (see: 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2009).

2020 only gave us a handful of new movies to see in theaters, but thankfully my annual list on this blog doesn't rely on that. If I saw a film for the first time in a calendar year, it's eligible. Additionally, if you're interested in hearing my LEAST favorite flicks that I saw last year, just listen to the latest episode of my podcast, Baconsale.

But without further ado, let's talk about the best movies I saw in 2020, starting off many years ago with...



10. Top Hat (1935)

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers make quite the pair. And there are few times that their star power is able to shine more than in Top Hat. It’s a simple story which stretches the bounds of believability at times, but the lead couple is so charming and talented that you can’t help but smile as you watch it. Audiences loved Top Hat back in the day, and I think if you give it a chance, you will, too.







9. Jumanji: The Next Level (2019)

I don’t know how this sequel to a reboot did it, but Jumanji: The Next Level managed to be just as entertaining and exciting as Welcome to the Jungle. Instead of trying to top what it did last time, this film tries something different, and it works. You can tell the cast had a lot of fun while making this movie, and I had a lot of fun watching it. In fact, I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing another entry in this film franchise.







8. The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019)

The Peanut Butter Falcon is an impressive movie with an equally impressive backstory. This story is bizarre, yet heartfelt. The performances of Shia LaBeouf, Zack Gottsagen, and Dakota Johnson feel genuine and, therefore, make you really care about the characters and what happens to them. I didn’t quite know what to expect when I started watching this film, but I’m glad I was able to share this adventure with Tyler & Zak.






7. 1917 (2019)

1917 is a simple story told in a magnificent way. The cinematography is like a well-choreographed dance, moving from scene to scene almost seamlessly. This film tugs at your heartstrings during some parts, then makes you hold your breath during others. Trust me, once this movie starts, it’s hard to take your eyes off the screen.







6. American Animals (2018)

American Animals offers a unique experience in storytelling. This film blends documentary-style interviews with a dramatized version of the actual events in a way I’ve never seen before, highlighting the unreliable nature of our memories. Plus, the story is one you need to see to believe, as this insane heist was carried out by college-aged amateurs. I’ll be thinking about this film for a while.







5. Sullivan’s Travels (1941)

Sullivan’s Travels is a hidden gem of a movie. People don’t talk about it much anymore, but it’s one I think more people should watch. It features witty dialogue and a clever story that skillfully shifts between comedic farce and compelling drama. Plus, it’s entertaining to watch Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake play off each other. Yes, it’s a little dated and kind of cheesy, but I’d recommend Sullivan’s Travels to anyone who enjoys the experience of going to the movies.






4. Erin Brockovich (2000)

Erin Brockovich would have been a compelling drama even if it weren’t a true story, but it is a true story, so it’s even more captivating. Julia Roberts is a commanding presence whenever she’s on the screen, and her antagonistic relationship with Albert Finney is a lot of fun to watch. This film makes you laugh almost as much as it tugs at your heartstrings, and it’s deserving of all the praise it gets.







3. Hamilton (2020)

There was so much hype surrounding Hamilton that I thought there was no way it could live up to expectations—and yet it does. The songs in this musical production are complex and emotional, and the story explains the history of our founding fathers in an engaging way. Yes, it would probably be better to see it on stage and no, it’s not perfect, but I’m glad I was finally able to see Hamilton performed instead of just listening to the soundtrack.





2. Joker (2019)

Joaquin Phoenix had some big shoes to fill after such performances by Cesar Romero, Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamill, and Heath Ledger, but his take on the Joker is definitely one to watch. In fact, it’s almost impossible to take your eyes off the screen because you’re worried Arthur Fleck is going to sneak up and attack you. This origin story of the Clown Prince of Crime is a well-made drama, grounded in reality, but riddled with delusional fantasy.






And my #1 favorite movie that I watched last year is.....











1. Parasite (2019)

It’s hard to nail down what type of movie Parasite is, but this drama/thriller/comedy is definitely worth seeing. Bong Joon-ho tells this story in a way that keeps you engaged and keeps you guessing, with protagonists you can’t fully like and antagonists you don’t really hate. Even though I may not agree with every decision this film makes, I enjoyed the journey and I’ll be thinking about it for a very long time.


But wait! There's more! They may have not made my top 10, but I also wanted to give an honorable mention to these other movies I saw for the first time in 2020: Run Silent, Run Deep (1958), Stalag 17 (1953), Orphan (2009), Crawl (2019), The Queen (2006), The Thief of Bagdad (1940), From Russia with Love (1963), and The Spy Who Loved Me (1977).

Thanks for visiting Slice of Fried Gold once again, faithful readers! Here's to hoping that 2021 gives us more theatrical releases, more parties with extended family, more vacations abroad, and more excuses to not go to the gym!

No comments: