Friday, January 30, 2009

Worlds Are (Awesomely) Colliding!

Men are different from women.

There, I said it!

And I'm not just talking physically, I mean in their likes and tastes, as well. I can't tell you the number of times my wife and I have argued whether we were going to watch a movie about princesses, unicorns, flowers and the Victorian era, or whether we're going to watch a movie with monsters, explosions, slow-motion coolness and John McClane.

Seriously, I don't get women's obsession with the Victorian era. Sure there are pretty dresses and fancy balls, but remember that under those dresses are VERY uncomfortable corsets and a SEVERE lack of deodorant used in those crowded dance halls.

However, to be honest, if I was trapped in a building with terrorists, I don't think I'd be stripping down to my undershirt and shouting "Yippie-Ki-Yay" at the top of my lungs, either.

But I'm glad to say that there has been a beautiful melding of the Victorian and the awesome. The middle ground has finally been created. Seth Grahame-Smith has taken it upon himself to blend the worlds of Jane Austen and George A. Romero. Who is George A. Romero, you ask? Well, you ignorant dolt, he's the father of the modern zombie!


Anyway, without further ado. . .



I present to you,



"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies."



No, I am not making this up. No, this isn't too good to be true. It was sent to me by, alert reader, Jeff Tromphlin. The synopsis goes something like this:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies features the original text of Jane Austen's beloved novel with all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie action. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton--and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy. What ensues is a delightful comedy of manners with plenty of civilized sparring between the two young lovers--and even more violent sparring on the blood-soaked battlefield as Elizabeth wages war against hordes of flesh-eating undead. Complete with 20 illustrations in the style of C. E. Brock (the original illustrator of Pride and Prejudice), this insanely funny expanded edition will introduce Jane Austen's classic novel to new legions of fans.

Wow! Just. . .just wow. I've read another book authored by Mr. Grahame-Smith and was quite entertained by it. And I have high hopes for this one.

Finally, the worlds of men and women can be combined! My wife and I can read this book together and grow closer as we share our feelings about heartache and heart-eating. It'll be beautiful.

I can't wait for the movie!

7 comments:

Sara Ann said...

WOW, there are no words...

The Former 786 said...

Yes, there are, and they're on every page of this book!

SicklyGothGirl said...

Wow, that's just...the awsomest thing ever!!!! I might pass out from joy...

Lobbie said...

This post has just inspired the most awful and yet awesome movie idea ever....

--jeff * said...

that's the best thing i've heard of since "sense and senseless violence"!

"i'm a robot from the future."

"what's a robot?"

"it's a machine?"

"what's a machine?"

"it's like a really complicated loom."

"ah."

Sierra said...

Did you read the biography? It is brilliant:

JANE AUSTEN is the author of Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, Mansfield Park, and other masterpieces of English literature.

SETH GRAHAME-SMITH once took a class in English literature. He lives in Los Angeles.

The Former 786 said...

Thank you, Sierra. I hadn't read that yet.

And Jeff, I really appreciated the Sense and Senseless Violence reference. Good memories.