Monday, January 10, 2022

My Own Subjective Top 10 Movies of 2021

Well, faithful readers, another year has drawn to a close, which obviously means you are all waiting with bated breath for the list of my favorite movies I saw in 2021. Or maybe you're waiting with "baited" breath, which would mean you're trying to lure something into your mouth so you could eat it, you weirdo.

Either way, much like I did in 20202019201820172016201520142013201220112010, and 2009, I am going to list the top 10 movies I watched for the first time this past year. If you're interested in hearing about the worst movies I watched last year, you can hear them (and the abbreviated version of this list) on my podcast, Baconsale.

So without further ado, let's talk movies worth watching!



10. The Mitchells vs the Machines (2021)

The Mitchells vs the Machines starts off pretty mechanically. There’s a kid who doesn’t fit in (as usual), with quirky family members (seen it), and she’s getting ready to go off to college (been there). But then, as it progresses, this movie transforms into something unique, and it managed to pleasantly surprise me a few times. It takes a while to ramp up, but I was really enjoying the story by the end.






9. Minari (2020)

Even if you’ve never been a Korean immigrant farmer in the 1980s, Minari is still very relatable. It’s a beautiful slice-of-life drama that focuses on the family experience, with engaging performances from the entire cast. This film could have easily turned cynical or become melodramatic, but instead it sows the seeds of realism and allows the story to grow naturally. And even though the ending feels a little abrupt, I still enjoyed the journey Minari took me on.






8. Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Candace Against the Universe (2020)

Even after all these years, Phineas and Ferb still makes me laugh. Candace Against the Universe feels like a longer episode of the series, but it doesn’t wear out its welcome or drag. The story clips along with plenty of visual gags and clever jokes to keep the viewers entertained. It also manages to bring in some emotion at the end, which makes the experience that much more enjoyable. I don’t know how newcomers to the franchise will enjoy this movie, but I certainly had a good time.





7. A Simple Plan (1998)

A Simple Plan is a compelling movie because it kept making me ask myself what I would do in this type of situation. And while it is stressful to watch everything start to spiral out of control, I couldn’t look away. Sam Raimi takes a very subtle approach with his directing and Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton, Brent Briscoe & Bridget Fonda keep things grounded in reality. I’ve been wanting to see this movie for a long time, and it was worth the wait.






6. A Quiet Place Part II (2021)

A Quiet Place Part II feels like a natural extension of the first part. It doesn’t try to flip the story on its head, nor does it undercut what the original movie set up. It’s full of tense moments as well as believable performances from the whole cast. This film has a simple plot, yet I found myself completely engrossed in what was going on as I tried to stay as silent as possible.







5. Sound of Metal (2020)

Much like the drummer in a band, Riz Ahmed is the backbone of Sound of Metal. His performance in this movie is what makes it so relatable and realistic. This film also uses creative sound editing to give the viewer a sense of what it’s like to be hearing impaired. Sound of Metal is a stressful, yet hopeful cinematic journey created by a talented cast, a capable director, and a convincing script.






4. His House (2020)

His House is a captivating horror movie, because underneath the ghostly tale, you also get a deeper story regarding relocated refugees, marital relationships, and grief. Parts of this film chilled me to the bone, whereas others gave me an emotional gut punch. This movie also has an independent, low-budget feel that works to its advantage. I will be thinking about His House for a long time.







3. Palm Springs (2020)

Due to the repetitive nature of time loop movies, they have to be done right in order to keep the audience engaged the whole time. Palm Springs does it right. This film does a great job of keeping things fresh. Andy Samberg shows that he’s more than just a goofball, and Cristin Milioti proves, once again, why she should have had a more prominent role on How I Met Your Mother. I wish this film were a little less vulgar, so it would be accessible to a broader audience, because I think more people should take a trip with Palm Springs.





2. Stagecoach (1939)

Even though Stagecoach was made in 1939, and it became the template for many westerns that followed it, it still managed to surprise me a few times. The story is simple, but the characters are interesting, and the stunt work & cinematography are quite impressive. John Wayne makes an impression from the moment he enters the picture. I don’t know why it took me so long to watch this classic film. I’m glad I finally did.






And my #1 favorite movie that I saw in 2021 is....








1. Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

They did it! A Spider-Man trilogy finally stuck the landing! Spider-Man: No Way Home is an impressive culmination of the films that came before it, with an engaging storyline, exciting action, laugh out loud moments, and dramatic consequences. The beginning climb is a little slow, but it’s an exhilarating ride once things get swinging. I don’t exactly know how this movie will hold up after multiple viewings, as there are some plot points that don’t quite make sense when you start to think about them, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself this first time.

And if that weren't enough, I also have a few other honorable mentions I'd like to....mention, because they would round off my top 19 movies of the year: Fatal Attraction (1987), The Lincoln Lawyer (2011), Nobody (2021), Outbreak (1995), Single White Female (1992), The Thin Man (1934), The Tomorrow War (2021), Yojimbo (1961), and Zack Snyder’s Justice League (2021).


So there you go, faithful readers. Even though I still feel like 2020 has just passed, we're now at the start of 2022, full of hope & optimism that this new year will bring a little more kindness, a little more caring, and a little more understanding of the difference between the words "bated" and "baited."

No comments: