Monday, January 16, 2023

My Own Subjective Top 10 Movies of 2022

Happy January, faithful readers

You'd think that doing a blog post would be like riding a bike, but since I've only been doing it once a year lately, I always feel so out of practice. Also, on a related note, I believe the last time I rode my bike was last January, as well.

But I digress. Once again, I'm going to appease the masses by giving a countdown of my favorite movies that I watched last year. If you're confused, then you should check out my blog posts from 202120202019201820172016201520142013201220112010, and 2009. In addition, I gave an abbreviated version of this year's list on my podcast, Baconsale, where I shared my bottom five movies, as well. 

However, this isn't a blog post to promote my family-friendly pop culture podcast that has been entertaining our listener for nine seasons with our amusing discussions about movies, music, TV, food, video games, and more. This is a post about me. Therefore, without further ado, here's my top ten movies from 2022.



10. The Remains of the Day (1993)

What makes The Remains of the Day fascinating is how what is being said is just as interesting as what is not being said. Both Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson are able to show a range of emotions while their characters are repressing those same emotions. It’s a well-crafted, understated drama that probably would have gotten more attention, had it not been released the same year as Jurassic Park, The Fugitive, and Schindler’s List.






9. The Elephant Man (1980)

The Elephant Man’s success comes from John Hurt’s powerful performance and Christopher Tucker’s amazing makeup design. I’ll admit that I wasn’t really a fan of David Lynch’s surrealist sequences, but I felt joy when people treated John Merrick with kindness, and I felt sorrow when others took advantage of him. No, it’s not the true story of Joseph Merrick, but I feel like this film can inspire us all to be a little kinder to those who are different from us.






8. A Christmas Carol (1984)

Even though it was made for television, this 1984 version of A Christmas Carol has better production value than many of the theatrically released adaptations. George C. Scott gives an engaging performance as Ebenezer Scrooge. He doesn’t play him as a cartoon villain, he plays a cynic that is so realistically cold that you wonder if his heart will thaw out by the end of the film. He’s also able to be joyous without it seeming artificial. The story does run a little long, and I wasn’t a big fan of the Ghost of Christmas Past, but this adaptation of A Christmas Carol is definitely one of the best.





7. The Straight Story (1999)

There's something endearing about the simplicity of The Straight Story. This movie is like driving on the open road. During the more boring parts, you can just sit back and enjoy the scenery. Richard Farnsworth plays his role well. Even though his quest makes you want to shake your head, you like Alvin and cheer him on as he goes. It's still strange to me that David Lynch made a G-rated Disney movie, but I certainly enjoyed the journey.






6. 42 (2013)

If you know the basic story of Jackie Robinson’s baseball career, then you pretty much know what 42 is going to be. It rounds the bases on all the plot points you’d expect in a film like this. However, what really makes 42 stand out among the crowd of inspirational sports movies is Chadwick Boseman. He is so charismatic and sincere in his role as Robinson. This movie made me feel a variety of emotions, including anger & frustration, but what it really does is inspire. It teaches that you can stand strong in the face of adversity, and that there is good amidst all the bad one can find in this world.






5. Tick, Tick... Boom! (2021)

As a creative person, Tick, Tick... Boom! kind of stressed me out. I could empathize with Jonathan Larson as he struggled to finish his musical in time. I’ve never seen Rent, and I didn’t know the story of the real Jonathan Larson, yet this film was engaging and surprised me a few times. Tick, Tick... Boom! is an innovative musical, blending reality & fantasy in a magical way.






4. Bo Burnham: Inside (2021)

Wow. Bo Burnham was much more productive during quarantine than I was. Inside is a highly unique comedy special that will make you laugh out loud, gasp in shock, and occasionally sit in quiet contemplation. You may even get emotional at times. I wish he wasn’t vulgar as he tends to be, but Burnham is a very talented artist and it definitely shows during Inside.






3. CODA (2021)

CODA is a movie I expected to like, and I was not disappointed. Each member of the cast is pulling their weight in this thought-provoking family drama. I was especially impressed by Eugenio Derbez as the music teacher and Daniel Durant as the overlooked brother. This film could have been melodramatic, sappy, or preachy, but instead it’s a realistic emotional ride.






2. Weird: The Al Yankovic Story (2022)

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story is completely ridiculous...and I absolutely loved it. I honestly haven't laughed at a movie this much in a long time. If you're familiar with Weird Al's life, then this movie will definitely tickle your funny bone. If you're not, then just know that this documentary is 100% accurate. Daniel Radcliffe is giving this role his all and swinging for the fences with the deadpan humor, and it works. I also found all the references and Easter eggs highly amusing. I couldn't stop smirking the entire time. I know not everyone is a fan of "Weird Al" Yankovic, but they should be.




And my #1 movie from last year is....











1. Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

I’ll admit that I had my reservations about them making a sequel to Top Gun, but Top Gun: Maverick delivers the same thrills the original did, along with improved & highly impressive aerial action sequences. The story is fairly standard, yet that’s part of what makes it great, as it feels like a throwback to the summer popcorn flicks of the 80s. I don’t think Top Gun: Maverick is as iconic as the first movie, but I do think it’s the best possible wingman for Top Gun.

So there you have it. That's my list of movies that impressed me this past year. Hopefully it impressed you, too.

Oh, and I have a few honorable mentions, as well, including: The Longest Day (1962), The Adam Project (2022), The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), and Emma. (2020). Those were all enjoyable, but they didn't quite make the cut this year.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go for a winter bike ride.

No comments: