Monday, May 13, 2013

Marching Band 2.0

Faithful readers, I may get in trouble for this post, so I'm just going to keep it short and to the point. I'm not a big fan of marching band halftime shows.

Yes, they must have been highly entertaining back when people didn't have iPods or color televisions, but nowadays they lack a certain. . .je ne sais quoi that puts them on the D level of entertainment (below things like movies, TV, music, amusement parks, video games and comedy shows, but still above hiking, experimental theatre, gardening, and well above any book written by Stephenie Meyer).

I respect and admire the discipline it takes to be part of marching band (and I have several in-laws who participated in marching band -- hence the trouble I'm going to be in), but this brand of entertainment really needs to step up it's game to compete with the HD, 7.1, CGI entertainment world that surrounds audiences today.

In short, more marching bands need to do stuff like this:



Now THAT'S entertainment. My thanks to, alert reader, Mike for sending this in.

I hope my in-laws can forgive me for this confession. I love and appreciate you all. . . 

. . .please don't hit me with your trumpets.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

I agree with you on the marching band side of things. Half-time shows are usually sub-par...it's the top DCI groups that really make it fun :)....of course you went to on e of those competitions too

The Former 786 said...

And those were a bit more impressive. But still, please don't tell your dad or brother about this post, Nathan. :)